Current Job Openings
Thank you for your interest in working with Actor's Express. The following are positions open at this time:
Production Manager/Technical Director
Actor’s Express seeks a full time Production Manager/Technical Director to oversee all production elements of the mainstage season and all other programming.
Production Manager and Technical Director
Mid-high thirties; plus health insurance and paid vacation
This position reports to the Artistic Director and works closely with the Managing Director.
Full time position
Some night and weekend hours required
Required attendance at tech rehearsals and tech notes sessions
Supervision of load-ins, electric hangs and opening nights as needed
Vacation / Comp-time Benefits:
Comp-time and Vacation and Benefits are available in accordance with the AE policy handbook.
PRIMARY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Develop and supervise production budgets to ensure they fall within the designated scope.
- Create and monitor production schedule, including design, budgeting, drafting/cost estimating, build, run and strike phases of each show.
- Oversee staff and production team to ensure adherence to all production deadlines and budgets.
- Run regular production meetings with the shows creative team.
- Administer a season calendar for the organization including all production elements, public events, intern events and all staff meetings.
- Read and evaluate season scripts for production element cost and feasibility.
- Create and execute all artistic contracts for designers, actors, technicians and other contracted personnel (including contracts with applicable labor unions including, but not limited to, Actors Equity Association, Society of Stage Directors and Choreographers and United Scenic Artists).
- Interview and hire all overhire labor and contracted production personnel.
- Interface with Actors Equity Association (and other applicable labor unions) to ensure that organization is in compliance with all applicable rules, reporting and regulations.
- Upload contract payment information to bookkeeper.
- Work with Assistant Technical Director to create detailed build plans, estimate costs and create a build schedule from designers’ renderings.
- Communicate the build schedule and budget to Assistant Technical Director, Production Team and overhire carpenters.
- Supervise staff, overhire and intern carpenters and crew to execute the build plan to a high degree of finish.
- Plan and lead load-in for all productions
- Attend and run strike of all productions
- Plan and execute the move of seating risers into new configurations for each production as applicable.
- Support rentals, education, off night programs, special events, and all the work of Actor’s Express
- Attend staff meetings, production meetings and tech notes.
- With the support of the Assistant Technical Director, oversee and participate actively in construction
of all scenic elements; ensure adherence to published schedules.
- Help with construction of properties, structures for lighting and other items as needed.
- Maintain knowledge of current theatre tends and technology to realize scenic designs.
- Monitor the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging equipment; arrange for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints. When appropriate, perform maintenance and repairs on theatre equipment and facilities including, but not limited to, rigging systems, scene shop machinery and tools, and lighting and sound equipment.
- Upkeep theatre facility maintaining front of house and back stage areas as well and performance space.
- Make minor renovations and upgrades to office areas, public spaces, theatre and backstage spaces as directed.
- Ensure the cleanliness of the backstage area.
- Function as AE’s safety monitor, overseeing the adherence to safety guidelines and ensuring a safe workplace in the shop, onstage and for all AE employees, contactors and interns.
- Negotiate and coordinate all outside rentals
- Create working relationships with area designers, directors and production personnel.
- Attend workshops and professional development opportunities when appropriate to improve skills on an ongoing basis.
- Participate in special projects as assigned by the Artistic and Managing Directors.
- Train interns in technical skills.
- Supervise intern crews during evening and weekend hours as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills and Expertise
- In depth problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Experience working within budget constraints while achieving high results.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Theatre or equivalent work experience; minimum of two years’ experience in the field.
- Demonstrable ability as a carpenter and project leader.
- Ability to effectively communicate with creative team, staff and interns.
- The ability to create production budgets after reading a script.
- Experience as a master electrician, sound engineer, costume shop manager or other technical discipline.
- Design experience in lighting, sound, set or costume design.
Please email a cover letter and resume to Managing Director Alex Scollon at [email protected] by August 10, 2018. Interviews will be held on a rolling basis. Two professional references will be requested of candidates who reach the interview phase. Job is open until filled. No phone calls please.
Actor’s Express seeks part-time carpenters to assist on scenery construction on a project-by-project basis.
Position duties include but at not limited to:
- Execute scenic designs using drawings provided by the Technical Director or Production.
- Manage utilizing woodworking, metalworking and other crafting skills.
- Work with intern crew members to complete scenery construction (as assigned by
- Technical Director or Production Manager).
- Assist with load-in and strike.
- Help with construction of properties, structures for lighting, and other items as assigned by the Technical Director or Production Manager.
- Stay up-to-date on knowledge of health and safety requirements for all tools and shop activities. Maintain a safe work environment for yourself and all staff.
Rate is $15.00 per hour.
Actor's Express is a theatre that challenges and reflects contemporary human experiences in an inclusive environment. We seek to jumpstart individual transformations through the shared adventure of our live performances, which range from daringly provocative to audaciously hilarious.
Our primary goals are four-fold: to nurture the next generation of playwrights through workshops, readings, and full productions of new plays; to develop and nurture Atlanta's artistic community through rigorous theatre training; to catalyze the dialogue essential to the vitality of our neighborhood and our city; and to enhance Atlanta's reputation nationally as a thriving center for live performance.
Please email Managing Director Alex Scollon at [email protected]. Include a resume that clearly demonstrates your theatre construction skills (Word documents or PDFs only, please). Positions are hired as needed for durations as short as one day and as long as five weeks. Please indicate your generally preferred availability. No phone calls please.
Actor's Express offers administrative internships throughout the season. Contact Alex Scollon at [email protected] for more information.