The Scenic Intern position is designed to provide early-career technicians with first-hand experience on fully realized productions, further develop existing skills, and prepare the Intern for professional work.
Working directly with the Production Manager, Technical Director, Scenic Charge Artist, and Guest Properties Designers, the Intern will be integral to realizing the visual and environmental needs of each mainstage production in the season. The Production Manager will work with the Intern to establish an understanding of their needs and goals, and together develop a list of duties to meet the theatre and Intern’s needs equally. This Intern position will be paid a 400$ stipend per Mainstage Production.
During their residency the intern will learn:
- Reading and working with scenic design packages.
- Working with Technical Director to construct scenery.
- Working with Scenic Charge Artist to paint scenery.
- Rigging safety for scenery.
- Scheduling, budgeting, and balancing designers’ desires with the theatre’s needs.
The Intern’s duties will include:
- Working as a carpenter and/or scenic artist for each mainstage production.
- Working with guest Properties Designers to alter props.
- Participating in strike for each mainstage production.
- Assisting the Technical Director and Production Manager with shop and facility maintenance.
- Assisting Production Manager with preparations for work calls and tech rehearsals.
- Assisting Production Manager with budget tracking.
Additionally, the aforementioned opportunities will be supplemented with workshops offered by staff, curated to satisfy the Intern’s individual goals. These classes may include but are not limited to:
- Scenic and Properties Design
- Scenic Art
- Budgeting, hiring, and scheduling
- Drafting and Paperwork Management for scenery & properties
The Intern will be given the opportunity to design, construct, and/or source scenery and properties for AE special programming and the annual Intern Showcase.
To apply: Contact our Production Manager, Seamus Bourne ([email protected]), with an email titled your name and which production internship you are applying for. Please send a cover letter, current resume, and if applicable your portfolio/website.