Job Title: Technical Director
Reporting: This position reports to the Production Manager (PM)
Working Hours: 40 hours a week
Some nights and weekends required
Required attendance at tech rehearsals, load-ins and opening nights
Benefits: Actor’s Express offers full employer paid health coverage and flexible paid time off / comp time.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
Technical Direction / Carpentry:
- Act as the primary carpenter on all AE productions working on and leading projects
- Create technical drawings for execution of designs based on set drawings, models, and renderings.
- Execute design / build drawings as designed
- Lead scenic construction and load-in for all productions and manage interns/crew in all build sessions
- Help with construction of properties, structures for lighting, and other items as needed by other departments
- Plan and lead strike of all productions and move seating risers into new configuration for each show as applicable.
- Maintain knowledge of current theatre trends and technology to realize set designs.
Facilities and Equipment Maintenance:
- Monitor and Perform maintenance and repairs on theatre equipment and facilities
- Upkeep theatre facility maintaining front of house and backstage areas
- Ensure the cleanliness of the backstage area.
- Maintain a safe environment for patrons and workers.
Intern and Staff Oversight:
- Train interns in technical skills
- Supervise intern crews
- Keep up to date knowledge of health & safety law and excellent working practice, including
experience of producing detailed risk assessments
- Knowledge of first aid, train and prepare for emergency situations that involve common shop
- Communicates and enforces City of Atlanta fire code standards and all AE safety standards.
Required Skills and Experience:
- In depth problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Experience with small, tight budgets and bringing projects in within budget.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in a producing theatre or equivalent education.
- Proven ability as a carpenter, welder, and rigger
- Proficient in scenic drafting, (Auto-Cad / Vectorworks)
- Ability to effectively communicate with creative team, staff and interns
- Theatrical Design
- Scenic Painting
- Sound and Props Management
Actor’s Express is committed to fighting systemic racism and white supremacy. Further, AE is committed to reflecting, promoting and defending diversity in all its forms at every layer of the organization. These include the following: Programming, Artists, Intern Company, Staff/AE Workplace, Board of Directors, and Audiences.
To read the full Actor's Express Anti-Racism & Anti-Bias Action Plan, click here.
Actor's Express is a fully vaccinated work place all employees must be vaccinated against Covid-19 before beginning employment